Monday, November 2, 2009

Unwavering

John was speaking to a class this weekend while they were in a balance pose. He told them something one of his teachers, Gurumayi Chidvilasananda, told him. Gurumayi said, "John, to find balance why don't you look within your heart to the place that is unwavering."

I love this. Anusara suggests that within each of us is EVERYTHING. We must look within our own hearts to find what we are looking for. Isn't it amusing how much we get busy, stay crazy with work, etc. and forget the fertile garden that lives within us? Yoga practice is a powerful way to begin to enter the space of the heart. It is my experience that we must also feel deeply, pay attention to these sensations and spend time in quiet meditation in order to truly enter into this space.

What if every human being spent a few moments every day bowing inward to the altar of their own heart? What if each of us, YOU AND ME, made it our top priority to have a relationship with the unwavering space in our hearts?

On the scale of yogis throughout time I am a baby beginner yogi and meditator. And still, the small bit that I have spent time listening, really listening to my heart has brought amazing results. Not only am I generally more satisfied with my life, but life seems to offer itself with such beauty and delight to me. It doesn't mean that I don't have painful feelings and experiences, it doesn't mean that I don't get angry and say stuff that I regret. It does mean that all those things are lessening because I am more conscious of them, and I am willing to step into the feeling so that I can find a new way and continue to heal and grow. Mostly, and this is the part I always doubted, it does mean that the true desires of my heart are coming and have come to me. I do have to be willing to take risks, but I find that if my attention is directed to this "still, small voice" within my own heart all comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment